HeartShare St. Vincent’s Services’ Foster Care Program ensures that children in foster care experience a seamless transition to a safe, stable and loving home. Once children are in foster care, HSVS works towards achieving permanency, either through reunification with birth families, kinship guardians or adoption. Additionally, HSVS provides intensive support to older adolescents to prepare them for aging out of care and coping with the transition to adulthood.
You can be a foster parent if you:
• Are at least 21 years old and have income
• Are single, married or partnered.
• Identify as LGBTQ, or want to ally with LGBTQ youth.
• Are interested in providing young children with an enriching and loving home.
• Are interested in helping teens to develop into happy, well educated, successful adults.
• Are looking to adopt youth into a forever family.
What we provide:
• A monthly financial stipend to provide for the needs of each child.
• Medical, dental and mental health care for each child.
• Training and support for foster families.
• 24/7 assistance from dedicated HSVS staff in case of an emergency.
For more information on Foster Care and Adoption Services, call (718) 422-2485 for the Brooklyn office and (718) 739-5000 for the Queens office.
Preventive Services works with families in crisis to ensure their children remain safe in their homes. In addition to counseling, staff provides guidance on where to find essential help and resources. HSVS places importance on helping families stay together and work through the issues confronting them.
Who We Serve:
Families with children under age 18 and living in the communities near our programs in Coney Island, East Flatbush, Canarsie, Bergen Beach, Mill Basin, Sheepshead Bay, and more
What We Provide:
• Individual, group and family counseling
• Art and play therapy for children
• Parenting skills workshops
• Assistance with obtaining benefits
• Referrals for mental health, substance abuse, medical, employment and housing resources
• Advocacy for educational needs and participation in school meetings
• Navigating systems, as well as resources regarding immigration and family legal issues
Surfside Beacon Prevention
2923 W. 28th Street, Brooklyn 11224
(Serves Coney Island Families)
East Brooklyn Family Services
1353 Utica Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11203
(Serves East Flatbush, Canarsie, Bergen Beach, Mill Basin and Sheepshead Bay neighborhoods)
Specialized Prevention Program (Borough Wide)
89-31 161st Street, Jamaica, NY 11433
Family Treatment and Rehabilitation (Borough Wide) – OPENING JULY 1st
66 Boerum Place, Brooklyn, NY 11201